Note: This TechTip will help you replace a brew thermostat on a semi-automatic Gaggia or the Rancilio Silvia. Please give our technicians a call to verify diagnosis of your machine.
You turn on your Gaggia semi-automatic or Rancilio Silvia one morning and make an espresso, but it’s cold! You anxiously check to see if the machine will heat to steam temperature and yep, that works, you can get steam from the steam wand. If you are savvy, then you probably cooled the boiler to proper brew temperature by running water out of the steam wand to make the much-needed espresso in the morning.
What’s wrong? You need a new brew thermostat!
Two thermostats control the boiler temperature, of these machines. One is for brew temperature and the other is for steam temperature.
Thermostats are replaceable by a homeowner with moderate mechanical skills. To order the thermostats call us at 888 411 5282.
Before working on any machine PLEASE, double check to make sure that the water reservoir is empty and that the machine is UNPLUGGED!
Gaggia thermostat replacement instructions:
The Gaggia’s the brew thermostat is located on the left side of the boiler, the silver dome shaped device.
1) Remove the top of the machine.
2) Remove the two wires to the thermostat. This is easiest done by pushing the wires off with a flat bladed screwdriver.
3) With a 17mm wrench, rotate the thermostat counterclockwise. Once it’s loose you can rotate it with your fingers.
4) Apply the thermal mastic to the base of the thermostat (not the threads) and install the thermostat. Tighten by hand, and then turn the thermostat with a wrench an 1/8 of a turn - no more.
5) Attach the wires, it does not matter which way they go.
6) Install the top of the machine.
Silvia thermostat replacement instructions:
The Silvia’s brew thermostat is located on the top of the boiler, the large brass dome shaped device. The Silvia has two thermostats held done on the top - the brew thermostat is the one on the left.
1) Remove the top of the machine and the reservoir.
2) Remove the two wires to the thermostat. Easiest done by pushing the wires off with a flat bladed screwdriver.
3) Undo the two slotted screws that hold down the thermostat. A magnet to catch the screws might be helpful.
4) Apply thermal mastic to the base of the thermostat and put the thermostat into place.
5) Put the holder back over the thermostat and install the screws.
6) Attach the wires, it does not matter which way they go.
7) Install the top and the reservoir.
If you need further help please call 888 411 5282 and our technicians can assist you with you machine.
Joining Member Perks gives you access to exclusive savings, news, videos, and more on your favorite coffee products!
Monday - Thursday: 9am-8pm
Sunday: 12pm - 5pm
Whole Latte Love - 2200 Brighton Henrietta Townline Rd, Rochester, NY 14623
Copyright ©2013 Whole Latte Love. All rights reserved.