The Delicious Truth About Soy
In coffee shops around the country, the word “soy” has become more and more common. Increasing numbers of customers are making the switch, whether for health reasons or simply for its great taste. But what exactly is soy, and what are all these health benefits everyone has been talking about?
As many of you know, “soy” products such as milk and tofu are derived from the Soybean, which has been used as a food source in Asian countries for thousands of years. Soaking, grinding, and then boiling the soybeans produce soy milk itself, which after cooling somewhat resembles animal milk. Soy milk is also high in both protein and calcium, helping earn its “milk” title. Its widely reported health benefits include a decrease in both heart disease and many types of cancer, and a lowering of body cholesterol. Many also claim that it supports kidney health, which helps your body clear itself of toxins caused by poor diet and pollution. Soy is also a natural source of potassium, iron, and the B12 vitamin. Most doctors agree that a diet that includes 25 grams of soy protein per day is an easy and effective way to improve overall health.
For those who would like to add soy to their diet, soy-based espresso drinks are a great way to accomplish this. You can replace cow’s milk with soy milk for all of your favorite drinks recipes, because soy milk can be steamed and frothed with great ease. The home barista need only fill his frothing pitcher with soy milk and proceed as usual, although it’s worth noting that soy milk should not be re-steamed, so be sure to drink it before it gets too cold! Other than this, there is nothing standing in the way of making great soy beverages on your home machine. Happy frothing!
Cinnamon Soy Cappuccino
Ingredients: 10oz soy milk, espresso, cinnamon syrup
1. Froth half of the soy milk then steam the rest to approximately 160º.
2. Combine ¾ ounce of cinnamon syrup and steamed milk in cappuccino cup then spoon on froth.
3. Pull a double shot of espresso.
4. Pour shots through middle of froth and enjoy!
Soy Caramel Macchiato
Ingredients: 10oz soy milk, espresso, vanilla syrup, melted caramel
1. Froth a small quantity of soy milk and steam the rest to approximately 160º.
2. Pull a double shot of espresso.
3. Combine ¾ ounce vanilla syrup with steamed milk in cup.
4. Add double shot and melted caramel to drink, stir.
5. Spoon on froth and add a touch of caramel to top.
6. Drink and enjoy!
Iced Soy Mint Mocha
Ingredients: ice, soy milk, espresso, mint syrup, chocolate syrup
1. Fill a ten-ounce glass with ice.
2. Add double shot of espresso.
3. Add 1 ounce of chocolate syrup and ¾ ounce of mint syrup.
4. Fill to top of glass with soy milk
5. Stay cool this summer!