Vinegar is an incredibly versatile product and has become a household staple as it is cheap, widely available, and can be used for just about anything. One misconception about vinegar is that it is a good way to clean and descale coffee machines. While it may sound self-serving, it is NOT.
Bad Idea To Use Vinegar:
- The vinegar leaves a strong odor (as everyone knows) that can co-mingle with coffee oil, turning your fresh brew into a “fresh ew.”
- It does not clean! While vinegar might be able to gently break down some hard water deposits, it does not effectively clean your coffee machine or remove oils.
- It takes forever to rinse: our tests show that vinegar takes 3.5 times longer to rinse out of a drip brewer or capsule machine than does Dezcal, Full Circle Descaler, or other Urnex Brands, Inc. products.
There you have it: vinegar is great for almost anything. Rather than waste water trying to rinse out your semi-cleaned and now-smelly coffee machine, use a professionally formulated coffee machine cleaner or descaler.
And to prove that we at Whole Latte Love do not hate vinegar, here are a few of our favorite places to use vinegar (just some of the 1,001 ways to use vinegar):
Wacky cake—quick rise cake made without yeast, eggs, butter, or milk
- Easter eggs—vinegar is an important component for coloring!
- Window cleaner—simply combine vinegar, water, and some elbow grease!
- Salad dressing—it’s as easy as olive oil and vinegar!
Pickling—come on, who doesn’t love pickles?