Updated for 2022
As stated on the official HARIO Co., Ltd. website, the Hario V60 is the coffee dripper “that can create variations of flavor for those who brew coffee.”
To achieve this, the V60, a manual pour-over style brewer, offers a trio of top features that sets it apart from the competition: a 60-degree cone shape, twisted and spiraled ribbing and a single large hole at the bottom of the dripper.
- Cone Shape: The Hario V60 is a cone-shaped coffee dripper that utilizes a 60-degree angle which allows hot water to flow towards its center and stay in contact with grounds longer. This, in addition to the fact a cone shape helps grounds become thicker vertically, helps ensure a more proper extraction.
- Spiral Ribs: Twisted, spiral ribs prevent paper from sticking to the dripper and create a layer of air between the paper and dripper. This lets air pass through and allows grounds to better expand for a smoother extraction.
- Single Large Dripper Hole: The V60 features a single large hole at the bottom of the dripper. This makes the tip of the paper poke through the hole, which allows for an extraction closer to that of a cloth filter.
Originating from Japan, Hario, which translates to "King of Glass," was founded in 1921 in Kanda-Sudacho, Tokyo under the name Shibata Works. The company began as a producer and seller of laboratory glassware before assuming the name Hario and entering the world of glass tableware in the 1960s’, with aspirations of breaking into the world of drippers. By 1980, the company launched its first paper dripper, but it was unsuccessful. It took until 2004 for Hario to reapproach the project. This time, they had something special.
To prevent paper from closely adhering to the dripper wall, which made it difficult for air to pass through and decreased efficiency of extraction, Hario added a twist to the traditional rib shape and made a single large hole in the bottom to make a path for the air by floating the paper. The result was the V60, a dripper that prevents hot water from staying too long in it and enables users to control the speed with which water is poured to brew coffee to their desired taste.
Since then, the V60’s popularity has continued to skyrocket. In 2007, the V60 earned Japan’s Good Design Award. The product’s international exposure surged in 2010 after a brewer who used the V60 won first prize in the 2010 World Brewers Cup.
Today, the V60 is one of the most recognizable pour-over brewers in the world. If you’re interested in seeing if a V60 is for you and/or how to use one, we’ve got you covered.
How To Brew With Hario V60
What you’ll need
- Hario V60 02 Coffee Dripper: Whole Latte Love offers Hario’s signature medium (1-4 cups) 02 size dripper in white ceramic, silver metal, black glass and white glass.
- Hario V60 02 Filters: We carry Hario 02 size white paper filters in a 100-pack. Check out the “Hario V60 filters” section below for more information.
- Ground Coffee: Use 25 grams for 420 ml of brewed coffee. We carry a plethora of Whole Bean Coffee And Espresso ready to be ground and used with the Hario V60 line. If Pre-Ground Coffee is your thing, we also have you covered.
- Hot Water: Use 1 mL of water per gram of coffee at roughly 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in a separate, safe-to-use container before starting the brewing process.
- Cup/Decanter: Just about any insulated cup or decanter will do. Just make sure your container can comfortably hold the amount of brewed coffee you intend to make. We offer a variety of Hario V60 vessels to house your brewed coffee that can be attached directly to your dripper. Options offered include a 600 ml clear glass range server, a 1.2 L stainless steel drip kettle and many others.
Coffee Grinder: For the whole bean crowd, you’ll need a grinder. We recommend using the Baratza Sette 30 Espresso Grinder or a comparable grinder. Be sure to check out our full selection of Coffee & Espresso Grinders to find the perfect one for you.
Scale/Timer: We offer the Hario V60 Drip Coffee Scale/Timer, which helps maximize both extraction and bloom times in one accurate and easy-to-use product.
- Total brew time: 3 minutes
- First things first, you’ll want to fold the seam of your filter into a cone shape, fit it into your brewer and rinse it thoroughly. Once the filter is adequately rinsed, dispose of the rinse water.
- Next, grind roughly 25 grams of coffee to your preferred fineness and add it to your brewer. As for grind size, we used the Baratza Sette 30 Espresso Grinder and found setting number 12 of the possible 31 grind settings worked best.
- Then, you’ll need to saturate the coffee grounds with water at around 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour slowly in concentric circles in and out until the grounds are evenly covered. Use 1 mL of water per gram of coffee and let sit until blooming reduces.
- After letting bloom, pour in additional water at the same temperature continuously at a slow and careful pace. Add water every 10-15 seconds and make sure to keep all grounds submerged until you have about 420 mL of brewed coffee.
- Lastly, remove the brewer and pour the brewed coffee into your favorite mug, range server, drip kettle or other Hario-compatible product. Serve to friends and family and/or pour yourself a cup and enjoy!
Hario V60 Filters
To coincide with the Hario V60 02 size dripper, we sell Hario-brand 02 size white paper filters in a 100-pack. By using these, you can rest assured that they’ll fit properly, maintain their shape when you pre-wet them and have the proper density to give you a rich cup of coffee every time.
It’s worth noting that other drip coffee filters comparable in size will also work.
Hario paper filters are made with 100 percent oxygen bleached paper pulp and, like 02 size brewer, have a capacity of 1-4 cups per brew.
Additional V60 02 size paper filters are available in quantities of 40 or 100 at Hario.jp.
The Sette 30 is a programmable, timed grinder that features Baratza’s innovative straight-thru design for seriously low retention grinding. Its 31 grind settings, versatility and reliability make the Sette 30 an excellent entry level espresso grinder at a veritable value.
By now, it should be easy to see why the Hario V60 coffee dripper is one of the most recognizable pour-over brewers on the market. As a company, Hario is, and has been, trusted by coffee professionals and amateurs alike for almost a century.
This is shown with the exceptional control offered and meticulous design of V60 products. By providing great build quality, excellent tasting coffee and a shallow learning curve, the Hario V60 line of products are equally suited for any and all at-home, at-work or cafe baristas.
For even more information on the Hario V60 coffee brewer and other V60 products, be sure to check out our complete Hario catalog.