For the Sweet Tooth
I thought it was time that I share my favorite coffee recipe. Personally, I favor the chilled coffees, the mochas, or frappes or frappuccinos. Whatever you like to call it, my taste buds just like chilled coffee better. An aberration of sorts at an espresso machine company, I know.
But for my dessert drink, as many people refer to it, is made with just an espresso machine and a blender.
- Double shot basket filled even and tamped with Lavazza Super Crema (or any coffee you love)
- 6 large ice cubes
- 1 oz of Ghirardelli’s chocolate powder (or one hot cocoa packet in a pinch)
- 3 oz Half & Half (I use the fat-free kind)
- 1 oz milk (I use 1%) (these two ingredients can be altered to taste, 2 oz of each, or all milk…the half & half just thickens the drink nicely)
- 1 oz Ghirardelli’s Chocolate syrup (or Hershey’s)
How to assemble:
Put the ice cubes in the blender, and pour the powder over them. Then pour the half & half and milk over the powder. (You can see the beginning of a yummy drink as they mix around the ice cubes.) Then add in the chocolate syrup. Brew your shot of espresso, I personally pull a slightly longer shot, like a ristretto, about 3 ounces, and pour that over the other ingredients. Mix until you have a smoothie like consistency and enjoy.
Beware, this is an addictive drink, and is in no way low calorie! However it has a small caloric content compared to the Frappuccinos and Coolattas of the world. Under 300 calories if made entirely with half & half for a slightly thicker consistency.
Does anyone else have an iced coffee recipe to share for the summer ahead of us?